May 15, 2006

Ancient History*

* or "I need to tell this for future posts"

In an earlier incarnation of our life together, my wife and I decided to go to Frankenmuth, MI for the day. Frankenmuth is a touristy town with a German flair. We figured that we would be smart and go in the middle of the week and walk around town, spend the day and avoid the weekend crowds.

Other than for one "clear-as-day memory", I'm guessing that the day went pretty well. I'm sure it was along the lines of.... "nice store", "isn't this cute?", "not $60 cute", etc.

When one goes to Frankenmuth, one has (not my opinion, just the peer pressure thing to do) to have the "family style chicken dinners". Because it was a Wednesday afternoon we were seated right away and ordered our lunch. As we were eating I started to look around th
e restaurant. All I can say is that there must have been senior citizen discounts offered on Wednesday. And as I was looking around, all that I kept picturing was me/us being old and spending a Wednesday afternoon eating chicken dinners. And what would I/we do with my/our days. And then I felt the need to get out of there. As in I was getting anxious. As in I needed to leave. As in I needed to leave now. And as we left, I could barely keep from running out of there.

The feeling finally subsided, and I have never experienced anything like it again. But it never fails, if we are somewhere and the majority of the crowd is 30+ years older than us, I get the look and the question "Are you alright?".

Photo from mstroeck and used with a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license.

Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment